photographs from Iceland; ii

Monday, November 28, 2016

On our last day in Iceland we had planned to go to the Blue Lagoon. But by the time we made our way around the island we were pretty broke, and the Blue Lagoon is pretty expensive. So instead we found a geothermal hot river, and did the mile or two hike up to it. (The photograph of the green windy river from the last post was from the hike up.) When we got there we changed into our suits and found a somewhat empty spot to sit. The water was only about two feet deep so we were just sitting and relaxing, not swimming. But it was beautiful, nestled in these hills, it was getting late but of course the sky was still that perfect dusk blue. After we had gotten out, dressed and packed up the pack, Steele bent over to grab my shoes and out of the unsealed top of his pack tumbled my little digital camera (a Fuji XT-1.) It plopped into the (hot!) water and was completely submerged for a full second. Needless to say it pretty much ruined the walk back to the car. (And the rest of the night.) I was resigned the death of the camera, as I couldn't do much to trouble shoot at 10 pm in Iceland. Steele was pretty bummed and depressed, and so was I. Our plan had been to drive back around the coast of the island, so that's what we did, whilst I googled many stories of sad people dropping their cameras into water. I wasn't too hopeful.

But it's pretty hard to be totally depressed when you're driving on the coast of Iceland as the light is fading. On our left was the sea, and on our right were these rolling hills and suddenly there was a thick mist creeping down them. I made Steele pull over so I could take a photograph. It was getting pretty dark so I wanted to use the digital, but since it was out of commission I ended up shooting a few frames with my 35mm Nikon. I tried not to worry too much about whether or not they came out. When I got the film back it looked exactly how I remember it. Unreal and eerie.

As for my camera–it lived. I carried it around the next two days traveling, put it in rice as soon as I got home, hoped for the best and put it back together a few days later. No fogging in the lens, nothing wrong at all. Of course at the time I told myself it could still fail later. But now it's been almost six months, so I'm going to tentatively declare it all right.

Of course the real story is about those foggy hills. But what else can I say? Just look at the picture.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hello! I love & appreciate getting comments. I often reply directly, so click the "notify me" box or check back if you want to.